I am a graduate student in applied entomology with 5+ years of research experience in greenhouse integrated pest management.
As a natural problem-solver, I am most drawn to applied science. I got my first research job when I was in my undergrad in a plant ecology lab studying the impact of no-till agriculture on weed emergence. I’ve been hooked on applied science ever since!
What I’m best at
- Distilling ideas into their essential components which allows me to create experiments that efficiently deliver goal-oriented results.
- Methodically planning and executing tasks which ensures that I meet targets in a timely and scientifically sound manner
- Quickly assessing unforeseen complications and creating solutions which enables me to take action to preserve the integrity of experiments or maximize utility of data
- Currently enrolled as a Masters student at the University of Guelph.
- Senior research technician in the biocontrol lab at Vineland Research & Innovation Centre for over 5 years
- Read more about the projects I’ve worked on below
- Interned as a resource conservation technician at Thousand Islands National park where I was involved in grey rat snake monitoring and developed a management strategy for invasive plant species
- Honours B.Sc. Zoology from the University of Western Ontario
Projects at Vineland
Projects I have been involved in as a research technician at Vineland Research & Innovation Centre
- Cuttings dips to reduce pest load on imported plant materials
- Improving biocontrol strategies for foxglove aphid
- How to outfox foxglove aphids in the greenhouse, Greenhouse Grower, May 2018
- Understanding Ervi: tips for successful foxglove aphid control, Greenhouse Canada, Sep 2018
- Surveys on biocontrol adoption in Canadian greenhouses
- Biocontrol thriving in Canadian floriculture greenhouses, Greenhouse Canada, Mar 2019
- Now putting the bios in charge, Greenhouse Canada, Sep 2016
- Developing new generalist predators for greenhouse biocontrol
- Help wanted! The case for new biocontrol agents, Greenhouse Canada, Jan 2019
- Using biopesticides & biostimulants for disease management and induction of plant-mediated hebivore resistance
- Not just for bugs, GrowerTalks, Aug 2017
- Using pheremone lures to enhance efficacy of mass trapping strategies for thrips
- Using mass trapping in a thrips IPM program, workshop presentation, 2015
I also like to do graphic design as a hobby, which comes in pretty handy when trying to develop science communication materials.
Sarah Jandricic and I recently created this grower-friendly identification guide to thrips species commonly found in Ontario greenhouses: